Saturday, October 10, 2026

Modern romance Do You Take This Man by Denise Williams would have been better if heroine RJ had taken hero Lear about 200 pages earlier

 

I took a break from Do You Take This Man by Denise Williams about two thirds of the way through, because I needed to read my book club book (about the other end of a romance, when your husband of 20 years up and leaves you), and then I was traveling. When I came back to it after a week or so, I was surprised that in my absence heroine RJ and hero Lear were still in the same tedious pattern of, "He likes her but she just wants a fuck buddy, but now she likes him but he's afraid to commit, but now he's ready to commit but she just wants a fuck buddy, but now she wants to commit and he is afraid that she is afraid to commit." On and on for about 300 pages.

I liked the characters, though. I respected that RJ was a driven lawyer who was committed to her career with no apologies and yet not a Hallmark Channel villain. And I really, really liked her mentor at work. She actually mentored RJ, and at the turn where something has gone wrong with a case and I was like, oh no, the mentor is going to turn out to be really evil and blame RJ, she was actually great. RJ was taken off the case because that's what the client wanted, but everyone knew that was unreasonable, nobody shamed her, and she just got back to work on other cases. That was really good.

Lear could get pretty whiny, but he had good reason to, and he was organized and also good at his job. Okay, I love characters who are good at their jobs. Maybe I would have liked this book more if it were more about work and less about are these two ever going to get on the same page.

 Note from Jasmine Gold: As the name of this blog indicates, I write erotica. Check out my dystopian novel about naked sex slaves, Mindgames. Your darkest fantasies, with a phenomenal plot and characters you will come to think of as beloved friends. Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited  and in paperback.  Or read my book of short stories about hot, consensual sex, The Mature Woman's Guide to Desire, available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern romance Do You Take This Man by Denise Williams would have been better if heroine RJ had taken hero Lear about 200 pages earlier

  I took a break from Do You Take This Man  by Denise Williams about two thirds of the way through, because I needed to read my book club b...