Monday, August 16, 2021

Review of Netflix's The Cook of Castamar/La Cocinera de Castamar

 

I started watching The Cook of Castamar/La Cocinera de Castamar on Netflix because I wanted to improve my Spanish.   It sucked me in pretty quickly with its Upstairs/Downstairs romance, murderous plotting, and literally orgasmic food.  As a costume drama romance the comparisons to Bridgerton are fairly obvious, if Bridgerton had been set a century earlier and in Spain.

This ten-episode show is really engaging, in part because of all the different characters and the threads that tie them together whether they know it or not.  But its sprawling story is also its weakness.  For the first several episodes I did not realize that a certain main character was actually two separate people who happen to look alike, kinda sorta.  (The truth is, all brunette white men look alike to me -- one reason why I often prefer books to movies.)  And when the hero started wearing a wig for no reason important to the story for a few scenes and then took it off for the next several episodes, I was completely lost.  

That said, if you love romance I highly recommend this show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of two plots in one modern romance The Worst Best Man by Lucy Score

  Modern romance The Worst Best Man by Lucy Score is really two books.  The first is a wacky adventure story in which heroine Frankie and ...