Monday, November 25, 2019

What makes smut smut?

After writing about Fanny Hill the other day, I was thinking I might do a series of blog posts about erotic books  I read, in the order that I read them.  I assumed that this post would  be about The Story of O, a BDSM book written in France in the mid-20th century.  It's a bit lighter on plot than Fanny Hill, -- and the plot that it does have is mostly sad -- but it gets points for having not an ounce of vanilla in it. 

But in between reading Fanny Hill and The Story of O, I read Judy Blume's Forever, and Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear series, and a bunch of Judith Krantz's wonderful novels.  In their time they were all called smut. They certainly all have explicit sex in them.  And yet, I don't think of them as dirty books. 

What makes a book a dirty book?  It's clearly not how well-written it is.  Plenty of smut is wonderful prose, and a lot more books that have not a whisper of sex in them are terribly written.  Is it the ratio of sex to plot:?  Or is it that the purpose of the plot is to lead to the characters having sex?  Or do we just know it when we see it?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of two plots in one modern romance The Worst Best Man by Lucy Score

  Modern romance The Worst Best Man by Lucy Score is really two books.  The first is a wacky adventure story in which heroine Frankie and ...